ARNA was initially organized in 2012 by five “network initiators” with a vision to support and promote a wide variety of forms of participatory research that would be shared to increase knowledge production, knowledge dissemination and knowledge democracy for critical, social, educational and environmental issues in the Americas and beyond.
As we move forward, we will use this site to document the history of ARNA. Check out some of our previous conference information.
The Action Research Network of the Americas (ARNA) unites college and university students and faculty conducting practitioner inquiry into teaching and learning with fellow action researchers in public schools, private schools, community settings and workplaces throughout the Americas. ARNA members are committed to taking action locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally to promote action research that is conducted with a commitment to honesty, integrity, inclusiveness, multi-vocality, engagement, and achievement within sustainable democratic societies.
For 2015-16 ARNA will continue to develop a number of key initiatives. As new members become active in ARNA’s working groups, new initiatives also will emerge.
ARNA is committed to engagement with a variety of strategies for knowledge engagement to bridge gaps between research, policy and practice in crucial social domains. Our work includes:
- Continuing the development of the ARNA family of websites, in particular increasing the movement of action research into active use in education, youth work, and human services in general
- Producing the first e-Proceedings from an ARNA conference (the 2014 Conference) and developing plans for the publication of proceedings for ARNA 2015
- Establishing exploratory committee for bilingual Journal of Action Research in theAmericas
ARNA recognizes that ‘voice’ in action research is a multi-dimensional phenomenon. Based on that recognition, ARNA is committed to:
- Continuing to build capacity for inclusivity in relationship to using the languages of the Americas in ARNA conferences, special events, and publications
- Practicing solidarity in relationship to diverse forms of knowledge production and mobilization, including practitioner-research, participatory research, youth participatory action research, etc.
- Holding ARNA’s annual conference in diverse regions of the Americas
- Beginning to explore the diversity of perspectives among ARNA members regarding applications of action research and participatory research in relationship to the challenging socio-political and geo-political issues of our times.
THE ACTION RESEARCH COMMUNITY OF ARNA -- THE ARC
We understand that our network is stronger when members feel engaged and when our work is approached through collaboration and the sharing of common interests. In that regard, ARNA recognizes the importance of:
- Nurturing good working relations for all tasks and assignments
- Assisting all members who wish to be active with finding avenues for involvement
- Continuing to develop the network’s capacity for community building among action researchers across the Americas, including recruiting new members to ARNA
- Increasing the quality of communications amongst ARNA members but also the level of communication as outreach to members of the wider action research community
Leadership Structure. ARNA participation has grown and we believe that a structure is now needed that allows for more input on the network’s operations and more engagement with the ARNA Strategic Priorities. In that context, a two-tier leadership structure has been developed.
- The ARNA Chair
- The ARNA Treasurer
- The Chair of the Members, Sponsorships, and Affiliations Working Group
- The Chair of the Knowledge Mobilization Working Group
- The Chair of the Web Development & Technology Working Group
The ARNA Coordinating Group shall consist of the following members who meet every other month:
- The 5 members of the ARNA Executive Committee (listed above)
- At least one of the upcoming conference co-chairs
- One member active in working groups formed by members with an interest in particular areas of practice related to action research (e.g. Early Childhood Education Working Group and School Counseling Working Group) and selected through an annual election among ARNA members
- A representative from the ARNA en Español Working Group
- An AERA Action Research SIG Liaison
- The CARN representative to ARNA
- The Editor of the Canadian Journal of Actioin Research
- One non-chair member of an operational working group, selected through an election among ARNA members